So maybe I'm a few months late to talk about this topic, but it definitely involves corporations. Valentines Day: The ultimate corporate holiday. Why is it that America feels like they need a holiday to say "I love you" to their loved ones? Why do they think they need to spend a ton of money on one day? Do people really think the more money spent on them on Valentines Day means the more someone loves you? It doesn't. Now I'll admit, when the day comes around I want attention too. If I'm single, I wish I wasn't and if I'm not, I expect something good. That's the downfall. This corporate holiday has made us into greedy people who expect to be blown away this one day a year? Honestly, if someone really loves you they'll blow you away everyday. They won't need Valentines Day to do it. According to Online Dating Magazine "15% of singles send flowers to themselves on Valentine’s Day". (Par. 2) It's sad that it means SO much to women to get something on Valentine's Day that they go to lengths to spend money on themselves. Billshrink.com posted this graphic about Valentine's Day.Click on the caption below the picture to be taken directly to Billshrink.com and enlarge the photograph. It has so many statistics that prove how much of a corporate holiday Valentine's Day really is. Especially one particular quote near the bottom of the graphic that talks about how some taken people still don't enjoy Valentine's Day because they feel it is meaningless and they're under pressure to provide the perfect gift for their loved one. That right there is the problem. People shouldn't worry so much about what they're going to receive or give someone on Valentine's Day. They should show their love everyday. The following clip from the movie Valentine's Day shows two teenagers (played by Taylor Swift and Taylor Lautner) who talk about how much they love each other. All he got her for Valentines Day was a teddy bear and they're still so in love for two high school students as opposed to other people in the movie and in the real world. People who expect diamonds and pearls and when they don't get it it just isn't enough. I'd say I wish we had Valentine's Day without all the corporate influence, but honestly, I think we're too past that.
Works Cited
"Valentine's Day Statistics." Online Dating News Blog - Online Dating Tips and Advice. Web.
You couldn't have said it better. I love valentines day, but why do i go all out on one day and not the other 364? I bet that corporations soak up Valentines day.
"15% of singles send flowers to themselves on Valentine’s Day". This blew my mind. I would have never thought that girls do this. This statement shows that corporations are making money off of everyone on valentines day.
When you said "people...under pressure to provide the perfect gift for their loved one", was absolutely true. For me and my girlfriends first valentines day, i got her a build a bear with my voice asking her to her first prom. She loved it, but every year I feel like I need to top it.
Thank you for bringing this up. I never realized that I do this, but I can definitely work on being sweet all the time. If you keep bringing up ideas that aren't obvious, I will come back and learn a new lesson next week.
Ahh, Valentines day. In my case, always embrace being single day. I do see how such a corporate holiday affects all of the taken and single people.
"15% of singles send flowers to themselves on Valentine’s Day". (Par. 2) Wow, I don't even know how to grasp this!! It is quite sad when a single person feels the need to do this. Surely, they can ask a good friend to be their valentine, at the least?
"This corporate holiday has made us into greedy people who expect to be blown away this one day a year." Every holiday has become a corporate holiday. Presents on Christmas, candy on Easter and Halloween, food on Thanksgiving, fireworks on Independence day, and then the wide arrange of things on this lovely day. Though, I'd have to say that valentines day does the most to us, and is the most corporate. They make soooo much money on this one day, its unbelievable! Though, maybe black friday due to Christmas is the worst of all corporate holiday uses....
Your blog is good. It didn't really talk about the corporate issues with valentines day, but I still liked it!
I really enjoyed reading your article about Valentine’s Day. I had never thought about how corporations had made it such a profitable holiday for absolutely no reason. I myself am not as much a fan of Valentines because of the strong influence to buy as much as you can to express how you feel for someone one day out of the year.
I found it interesting to learn that “According to Online Dating Magazine "15% of singles send flowers to themselves on Valentine’s Day". (Par. 2) It's sad that it means SO much to women to get something on Valentine's Day that they go to lengths to spend money on themselves.” I would have never thought that some singles spend money to send flowers to themselves on Valentine’s Day. It saddens me to know that its not really the thought anymore that matters it’s the material things.
I realized I had the same views as you when you said “People shouldn't worry so much about what they're going to receive or give someone on Valentine's Day. They should show their love every day.” I like this point that you made because I don’t believe Valentine’s Day should even be a big holiday people need to just express their love on a regular basis and it won’t be needed.
Maybe someday the holiday will return to how it was intended but I really enjoyed reading your post and expect many more great topics to follow. Keep up the good work.
I really agree with you in that corporations have taken holidays and twisted them for their own gail. It's sickening, but our society is vain and materialistic. I completely understand where you're coming from though because someone should need expensive gifts to say I love you. "According to Online Dating Magazine "15% of singles send flowers to themselves on Valentine’s Day" I really like that you pointed this out becuase it shows how as a society we have sunken low. We shouldn't have to buy ourselves gifts just because we don't have anyone to give them to us.
"I'd say I wish we had Valentine's Day without all the corporate influence, but honestly, I think we're too past that" You're so right that we are lost beyond all hope. I don't get it, but as a whole our society puts a lot of emphasis on possessions, which is what holidays are all about for corporations.
Dear EmilyyAnn,
ReplyDeleteYou couldn't have said it better. I love valentines day, but why do i go all out on one day and not the other 364? I bet that corporations soak up Valentines day.
"15% of singles send flowers to themselves on Valentine’s Day". This blew my mind. I would have never thought that girls do this. This statement shows that corporations are making money off of everyone on valentines day.
When you said "people...under pressure to provide the perfect gift for their loved one", was absolutely true. For me and my girlfriends first valentines day, i got her a build a bear with my voice asking her to her first prom. She loved it, but every year I feel like I need to top it.
Thank you for bringing this up. I never realized that I do this, but I can definitely work on being sweet all the time. If you keep bringing up ideas that aren't obvious, I will come back and learn a new lesson next week.
Gazelle
Dear blogger,
ReplyDeleteAhh, Valentines day. In my case, always embrace being single day. I do see how such a corporate holiday affects all of the taken and single people.
"15% of singles send flowers to themselves on Valentine’s Day". (Par. 2) Wow, I don't even know how to grasp this!! It is quite sad when a single person feels the need to do this. Surely, they can ask a good friend to be their valentine, at the least?
"This corporate holiday has made us into greedy people who expect to be blown away this one day a year." Every holiday has become a corporate holiday. Presents on Christmas, candy on Easter and Halloween, food on Thanksgiving, fireworks on Independence day, and then the wide arrange of things on this lovely day. Though, I'd have to say that valentines day does the most to us, and is the most corporate. They make soooo much money on this one day, its unbelievable! Though, maybe black friday due to Christmas is the worst of all corporate holiday uses....
Your blog is good. It didn't really talk about the corporate issues with valentines day, but I still liked it!
--Blue Jay
Dear Corporations and effects:
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your article about Valentine’s Day. I had never thought about how corporations had made it such a profitable holiday for absolutely no reason. I myself am not as much a fan of Valentines because of the strong influence to buy as much as you can to express how you feel for someone one day out of the year.
I found it interesting to learn that “According to Online Dating Magazine "15% of singles send flowers to themselves on Valentine’s Day". (Par. 2) It's sad that it means SO much to women to get something on Valentine's Day that they go to lengths to spend money on themselves.” I would have never thought that some singles spend money to send flowers to themselves on Valentine’s Day. It saddens me to know that its not really the thought anymore that matters it’s the material things.
I realized I had the same views as you when you said “People shouldn't worry so much about what they're going to receive or give someone on Valentine's Day. They should show their love every day.” I like this point that you made because I don’t believe Valentine’s Day should even be a big holiday people need to just express their love on a regular basis and it won’t be needed.
Maybe someday the holiday will return to how it was intended but I really enjoyed reading your post and expect many more great topics to follow. Keep up the good work.
Dearest Emily,
ReplyDeleteI really agree with you in that corporations have taken holidays and twisted them for their own gail. It's sickening, but our society is vain and materialistic. I completely understand where you're coming from though because someone should need expensive gifts to say I love you.
"According to Online Dating Magazine "15% of singles send flowers to themselves on Valentine’s Day" I really like that you pointed this out becuase it shows how as a society we have sunken low. We shouldn't have to buy ourselves gifts just because we don't have anyone to give them to us.
"I'd say I wish we had Valentine's Day without all the corporate influence, but honestly, I think we're too past that" You're so right that we are lost beyond all hope. I don't get it, but as a whole our society puts a lot of emphasis on possessions, which is what holidays are all about for corporations.
Nice work! Keep it up.
Grackle