Corey Deitz, former radio personality with a BS in Telecommunications from Kent State University, made a list of the top 10 music topics played on the radio in 2008.
- Love: Choose Me
- Love: Making Love
- Love: Don’t Want To Break Up
- Love: Painful Break-up
- Money
- Love: Falling In Love
- Bars & Clubs
- Bragging
- Love: Devotion
- Love: On The Ropes
- Love: Choose Me -- "You Belong With Me"-Taylor Swift & "That Should Be Me" -Justin Beiber
- Love: Making Love -- "A Night Off" -Drake & "I'll Make Love To You" -Boys II Men
- Love: Don’t Want To Break Up -- "Stay With Me" -Finch & "Stay My Baby" -Miranda Cosgrove (this one was actually pretty difficult)
- Love: Painful Break-up -- "All Again For You" -We The Kings & "You're Not Sorry" -Taylor Swift
- Money -- "N Luv With My Money" -Chamillionaire & "Money to Blow" -Drake (Didn't even have to go to iTunes for this one!)
- Love: Falling In Love -- "I'd Do Anything" -Simple Plan & "So Much" -The Spill Canvas
- Bars & Clubs -- "Make Love In This Club" -Usher (Two in one!) & "Waking Up In Vegas" -Katy Perry
- Bragging --"I Look Good" -Chalie Boy & "Who's Got Your Money" -Tina Parole
- Love: Devotion --"Little Devotional" -Taking Back Sunday & "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" -Aerosmith
- Love: On The Ropes --"Goodbyes" -Miley Cyrus & "The Cheeseburger Song" -Veggie Tales (okay, maybe this one is going out on a limb, but he really is torn about whether or not to wait for his cheeseburger!)
I think it's proven that these themes are very common in songs when I could so easily find songs about each topic all in my own personal music library. But to me, what is most apparent about this is that love is the most common theme. I have fifty songs in my library that have love in the title, but that doesn't mean out of the 700 left the majority aren't about love, because they are.
The thing is, the music industry is huge and it's everywhere. These huge companies that sign all of these musicians have a lot to do with society and what is popular at the time. However, they don't always have the best judgement. Sometimes artists go from company to company until someone signs them, and sometimes people who don't deserve to be signed at all are. Music impacts everyone, regardless of if they realize it, and I think the music industries are some of the least corrupt out there. People always seem to focus on the bad things of major corporations but I don't know what bad things to say about these companies.
Universal for example, it has had its controversies here and there, like bribing radio stations to play their music, but in comparison to some other companies is that really that bad? They aren't providing products that could kill anyone and they aren't lying about what they provide. Universal is an example of a corporation that more corporations should be like.
Now, here is a video of one of the songs above because I felt like if I was going to mention songs I should at least have a link to one (: I couldn't decide which so I used a random number generator and this is what is picked! I love this song.
Enjoy
Work Cited
Cashmere, Paul. "Universal The Biggest Label of 2006." Undercover: Your Daily Music Fix. Web. 27 Apr. 2011. <http://www.undercover.fm/news/1203-universal-the-biggest-label-of-2006>.
Deitz, Corey. "The Top 10 Music Topics Played on Radio in 2008." News and Advice on Internet Radio, SIRIUS XM Satellite Radio, AM, FM, HD, HD-2, Podcasting, IPhone, BlackBerry, and Android Radio Applications. Web. 27 Apr. 2011. <http://radio.about.com/od/radioprogramming/a/aa020209a.htm>.
Dear EmilyyAnn,
ReplyDeleteI felt that the subject that you picked was golden. I love music. I listen to music all the time. On my way to class, in my room, in my car. Music is everywhere.
When you said, “…but in comparison to some other companies is that really that bad”, it stood out to me. During this semester I have been trying to find something good in a corporation, and I finally wrote about a good one on my last blog. I thought it was neat that you found one as well. It just stood out to me because I couldn’t think of anything bad either.
Also, the statement, “Music impacts everyone…”, is absolutely true. I have noticed, depending on the type of music or artist, that I get into different moods. If I listen to hard rock, I get angry, if I listen to country, I feel relaxed, and if I listen to rap, I get upbeat and happy. Music has different moods, and it does affect people all day every day.
Thank you for picking the topic you did. It was extremely fun to read because it was something that I have a passion for. I can tell you have a passion for it as well. If you keep writing about passionate things, you will have tons of followers.
Gazelle
P.S. I love the song “Money to Blow” too ;)
Dear Emily,
ReplyDeleteThis was such a unique blog topic. The music industry doesn’t seem to be mentioned too much when it comes to corruption so I guess a lot of people forget that those companies are even companies at all.
I loved when you gave examples of all the music you had personally to prove your point. It was a very unique way of showing that we all listen to things with the same message despite their genre and that different corporations are all producing the same themes in music as well. It doesn’t matter if it is Veggie Tales or Drake, some company is producing it.
I agree with you that music impacts everyone and that is something that happens no matter what companies are involved. I think they are good companies and it’s important we recognize them for that.
I liked this a lot! Keep writing!
Grackle
Dear Emily,
ReplyDeleteI love this topic because I love music! This is also extremely true. I never really noticed before, but nearly every song has something about love in it.
I really liked the examples you used. It gave good support for your topic, and made more realistic for people to grasp that music really does revolve around those few subjects.
I also liked that you said "music impacts everyone." This is also very true, and I had never even thought about it until I read that. But if you really think about it, music is the one thing that nearly every single person comes into contact with world wide.
This post was extremely interesting! I also got to hear a new song :)! Thanks for posting.
Bonobo
Dear Emily,
ReplyDeleteI love music! I can tell you that a lot of my playlist are songs about love. It is just a subject that every person can relate to!
I agree that the music industry is a big business! Everyone listens to some form of music and has a preference. That preference may be 30 years "back in the day", but it's still a preference.
It's also a great industry. Like you said, it doesn't kill anyone! It is just an industry that you can really enjoy.
Thank you for the post. I love it!
Springbok