Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Tobacco Industry

According to thetruth.com, which is a website all about promoting the truth about tobacco and tobacco companies stated that, "a tobacco company once gave $125,000 worth of food to a charity, according to an estimate by The Wall Street Journal. Then, they spent well over $22 million telling people about it. I guess when you sell a deadly, addictive product, you need all the good PR you can get." (Fact 80 Truth) What does it say about Big Tobacco Corporations if they spend more money advertising their good deed than they actually did on the deed itself?
Big Tobacco companies are, in my personal opinion, the worst of all the corporations out there. I don't know of any other corporation that would treat the questions they were asked about their products the way Tobacco companies do. For example:
  1. Truth.com Fact 108 --How do infants avoid secondhand smoke? "At some point they begin to crawl." Tobacco Executive, 1996. 
  2. Truth.com Fact 87 --In 1997, a Big Tobacco executive once said, under oath, that he believed Gummy Bears were addictive like cigarettes. 
  3. Truth.com Fact 70 --In 1984, a tobacco company called younger adult smokers "replacement smokers." 
It's hard to believe that corporations would say these things, and not only that, but that they would actually write them down for other people to find.  Personally, I'm dumbfounded because of it.  And sadly, thetruth.com isn't the only place to find negative things about tobacco industries. Take the screenshot above for example. Of the five links listed when you search "tobacco corporations", the first, fourth, and fifth are all negative. "Trap millions into death", "lure for youth", "invasion of third world", these are all phrases that would make any normal corporation shake in their boots if it was written about things they were doing. Tobacco industries, they seem to embrace it and just keep doing it.
According to Corey Habbas, a journalist, tobacco companies find great importance in smokers that are under the legal age to buy tobacco. The way they see it is the younger they start, the more addicted they'll be. That way, when the older smokers die, the smoking population isn't gone because the younger ones have kept the tradition alive. (Par. 23)  This is just what the industry referred to as "replacement smokers" (thetruth.com)
Smoking advertisements always try to make tobacco look like, while it is unhealthy, it's still a good thing to do. Take, for example, this ad for Camel Cigarettes from the 1940s.

  
What is completely ridiculous about this is, aside from the fact it is doctors advertising smoking, is that there is a random beautiful woman at the end smoking. What was the point of that?! And if you pay attention he said "see how mild and good tasting a cigarette can be".  Now, not only are the advertising Camels but they're encouraging "cigarette[s]" as a whole.  Now, watch this commercial from thetruth, which is on the other end of the argument.

 
This definitely takes a different point of view, and probably had little to no effect on the tobacco company it was outside of.  Which is the worst thing in the world.  There are a lot of bad CEO s out there that realize they're in the wrong and they turn their companies around.  However, tobacco industries are so proud of what they do and they just keep doing it.  

And, just to conclude with a fact that will really make your skin crawl. 

Thetruth.com fact number 172. --
In 1971, when one tobacco executive was reminded that smoking can lead to underweight babies, he said,"Some women would prefer smaller babies."
Smaller babies? Really? For more information on the harm of tobacco, the wrong their companies are in and what you can do to help visit this link right here.

Habbas, Corey. "Tobacco Corporations Trap Millions into Death." MG | Indian Muslims Leading Newspaper | Alternative Media News Source from India. Web. 06 Mar. 2011. 

"Thetruth.com - Facts." Thetruth.com - Unsweetened Truth. Web. 06 Mar. 2011. 

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Emily,
    Tobacco companies are a great example of how negligent corporations can be. I think you did a great job by posting actual responses from executives in the business. It seems like they could care less about the harm their product does. And all they are after is money. I really enjoyed this blog post.
    -Elephant

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Emily,

    This blog really hits home with me because I am a smoker. Before I started smoking (I started smoking about two years ago), I used to watch The Truth tv ads and completely agree with them. And I still do. CEO's of these tobacco corporations know how harmful cigarettes are; however, I'm sure you could ask any American and they could tell you smoking is bad for your health. That said, people know what's harmful to them and they choose to do it anyways, without a thought to the future. I am guilty of this and it's bad. Tobacco corporations shouldn't use this to sell a product, but it's just one of those things that makes money.

    The comments about babies and second-hand smoke were ridiculous to me. As a smoker, I make sure that I only smoke around people who know the effects of second-hand smoke and NEVER around children. The fact that some people do is baffling to me, and it's not something a CEO of a major tobacco corporation should joke about.

    I disagree with the statement you made saying, "Big Tobacco companies are, in my personal opinion, the worst of all the corporations out there. I don't know of any other corporation that would treat the questions they were asked about their products the way Tobacco companies do". All corporations are relatively evil in my eyes, and, after looking at all of these blog posts, a lot of them say and do even more harmful things than these tobacco companies. While the products of these tobacco corporations may be more harmful than other corporations, that doesn't mean their actions are any more evil or malicious than any other corporation.

    In general, I really agree with this blog post. I enjoyed seeing a different side to tobacco than I normally see everyday and it was very informative. I enjoy the The Truth ads and their truth because people really need to know the effects of tobacco on humans. Thanks for this post!

    Genet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Emily,

    Your blog about these tobacco companies is spot on great. I also have beef against the tobacco companies today because of the lies and BS that they fill our heads with. They just sell a product that they know will kill their users, but they still don’t care.

    The sentence about the tobacco company spending $22 million to advertise how they gave $125,000 worth of food really stood out to me the most. This just shows how desperate they are positive public reception. They do this because it’s about the only way for them to get positive feedback.

    The point that you brought up about the tobacco executive saying that some women would want underweight babies is just ridiculous. These kinds of statements are just proof that they know that they are killing millions of people all over the world. Worse off is that they think they can just respond with these short little comments and it all be over with, it’s sickening.

    Thank you very much for this very in-depth blog about tobacco companies. These executives and CEOs need to be brought out into the public spotlight like this more often. I can’t wait to read more of your blogs because they are so in-depth with pictures, quotes, and videos.

    Sincerely, Meadowlark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Writer:

    I shall say that this is the best blog entry I have read so far. The research you performed to prove your side of this debate went above and beyond the ordinary. I personally enjoyed reading your article because as the son of two smokers I myself have very strong feelings against the tobacco industry and believe their actions need to be displayed. I find it completely wrong that tobacco companies are in a sense given immunity for their actions are hardly ever held accountable for the innumerable negative effects their products cause on their customers.

    The most interesting part of your article to me was where you explained a tobacco company giving 125 thousand dollars to a charity and then spending 22 million dollars advertising it. To me this is just ridiculous, a more charitable action would have obviously been to provide more money to the charity and the advertising would come by itself and give a better reputation for the organization.

    “Truth.com Fact 108 --How do infants avoid secondhand smoke? "At some point they begin to crawl." This statement you cited from a tobacco executive was very interesting to me. This comment shows how little the corporations care about how their products are really affecting the world and its users. Also it saddens me that these higher up employees just joke around about things like this when millions are negatively affected by second hand some every year.

    All in all I enjoyed reading your article greatly and hope many others feel the same way. This is all information people need to know and your article can help a lot of people.

    Sincerely Beachballs12

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Emily,

    This blog truly blew me away. You seemed very passionate about the subject and had so many visuals it was difficult to not read it, so I had to stop and read.

    When I read what some of the Tobacco Executives were quoted saying my jaw dropped. I don’t understand how anyone could say those things. People like them shouldn’t be in charge of such a massive industry. What they’re doing is harmful and what they’re saying is cruel.

    I totally agree that the doctor encouraging cigarettes ad was nuts! Why would anyone use that as a commercial? Better yet, why would a doctor advertise cigarettes? This was just insane to me.

    I’m so glad you brought these things to my attention. I learned a lot. Keep writing!

    Grackle

    ReplyDelete