 |
| E Marinot |
Maybelline cosmetics have been around since 1915 when they were just a small family run business. In 2002 Maybelline became the number one cosmetic brand in the world. (Maybelline par. 1 & 16) It seems like that is a long time to build up your business and become huge but honestly, I'm pretty impressed that they achieved that in such a short period of time. But what have they done to climb their way to the top? Maybelline claims that "L’Oreal is a leader in developing alternative methods to animal testing with the ultimate goal of eliminating all animal testing completely. In 1989, L’Oreal voluntarily stopped using animal testing for the evaluation of its entire range of finished products." (Par. 3) Because L'Oreal owns Maybelline this quote implies that Maybelline also wouldn't partake in animal testing. This claim couldn't be more wrong. All over the internet are different websites saying that Maybelline does animal test. For example, PETA has a huge list of companies that do animal testing and Maybelline is clearly on their list. (Par. 1) And PETA isn't the only website with a list of companies that do animal testing. Google gives you a lot of hits if you search "Does Maybelline animal test?". What gets me though is that Maybelline doesn't actually come out and say, "yes we animal test" or "no we don't". They just imply that they don't do it anymore. While it's bad to perform animal testing, it's worse to not answer if you do or not. Maybelline is playing politics with their consumers and that isn't fair to us. How are we supposed to know what the truth is? All I know is that if Maybelline does animal test, my opinion has changed on them. I know if my dogs were ever taken from me to be tested on, or if I saw any animal being tested on I'd be outraged. But what is completely outrageous to me, is how Maybelline doesn't even own up to what they're doing. I'd be more inclined to buy products from a company who said they do animal test than one that implies that they don't when really they do. Maybelline has made a poor decision when it comes to what they imply, especially because it is so easy to access proof that they animal test. Major corporations who lie, or imply something that isn't the truth, is part of the reason they all have such a bad connotation. Maybe that's how they got to the top so quickly??
Work Cited
"Companies That Do Test on Animals | PETA.org." People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA): The Animal Rights Organization | PETA.org. Web.
"Maybelline Animal Testing Policy." Web.
"Our History." Maybelline New York. Web.
Dear Emily,
ReplyDeleteI liked this blog a lot because animal testing is a topic that greatly concerns me. I think it's very wrong to test on animals, especially because they're not humans and it doesn't exactly make sense to take a make up product and put it on an animal...
When you said the company of Maybelline doesn't specify whether they animal test or not, I found this shocking and it definitely stood out for me. A company should be straight up with their customers, they definitely should not just beat around the bush.
I completely agree when you said that if someone took your dogs away to be tested on, you would be outraged. I would too, considering what they are being tested on, something as petty as make up.
Thank you for writing about this and getting others in the know. I had no idea that maybelline animal tests, but I do now, and I'm glad I know! I will definitely be coming back to check out your blogs. :)
Bunting
Dear Emily,
ReplyDeleteAnimal testing is something that a lot of people know is happening but I don’t see a lot of talk about so thanks for writing about this subject.
I was shocked to see that Maybelline didn’t confirm nor deny the fact that they animal tested. They placed a politicians game and didn’t answer the question. It would be a lot better had they just said yes we do or no we don’t instead of actually avoiding an answer.
I totally agree with you that their scheme of not answering and manipulating could be a part of the reason they rose to the top so quickly. There are so many make-up brands out there that don’t animal test, and tell people they don’t, that no one has heard of because they aren’t that big. They don’t have the money to advertise that Maybelline does.
I really enjoyed this blog because it brought up issues I hadn’t seen in other blogs.
Grackle
Dear EmilyyAnn,
ReplyDeleteI think that you are right on the money with this article. Maybilline should be ashamed of how they are dealing with these accusations. How can the people that use their products trust them. I also like the topic because it deals with animal abuse, and like you said in your paper, I would be outraged myself to see something like that happen.
When you said, “Maybe that's how they got to the top so quickly,” that’s exactly what was going through my mind. It makes me wonder: what else are they lying about? How low will they really go? This is a sad topic that a lot of men such as myself don’t think about because we don’t use products like these.
Also, the statement, “Maybelline is playing politics with their consumers and that isn't fair to us,” was my favorite quote of the entire passage. Every corporation, company, building trying to sell you something on a public level is trying to play politics. They are twisting their words to make it sound like they are not the evil doers, or they don’t say enough because they don’t want to say something that will get them into trouble. That isn’t fair to us at all.
Thank you for writing about this topic. I have heard about it before on television, but as a man who doesn’t use makeup, I tend to forget about it. Thank you for the reminder. If you keep using clever titles and attention getting photos, I will be back.
Gazelle